I am not a gadget girl. In my kitchen I like to have one good knife, (okay, and I also have a mandolin cutter and a food processer I love), but I don’t have the other specialty choppers and slicers. Maybe I’m a little too simple minded to keep track of more than three slicers.
But I could not wait to get my hands on a Silhouette SD. Because it’s not a gadget, it’s the good knife. Just wait, I’ll show you what I mean.
If you’re not familiar with the Silhouette, it’s like your printer, only instead of laying ink on a piece of paper, it cuts shapes out of paper, cardstock, vinyl, and more. I was sent one of these wonderful wonderful machines to sample, and told if I didn’t like it I could send it back, no strings attached. That was very polite of you, Silhouette, but puh-lease, I’m not sending back the Silhouette. And I’m not sending back my first born either. Thank you.
The second I plugged this thing in a world of possibilites opened up to me. (Wahahaha, the world is mine!) I can’t even believe how my head was spinning from the possibilities. So in honor of the Silhouette, I’m having a week-long Silhouette fest. Starting and ending with this giveaway.
Here are ten things you need to know about the Silhouette.
1. My husband was impressed. He was saying things like “Hmm, you can use an SD card if you don’t want to plug it into your computer.” My husband has never, NEVER noticed a craft or art supply in his life.
2. I set this thing up all by myself. I am notoriously bad at installing software. But this I set up in a flash. You can congratulate me. Thank you. But really, it was very easy.
3. You can purchase designs to cut at Silhouette’s online store. One by one if you like. For really cheap. No cartridges are involved. And Silhouette has sales to make things cheaper. And the designs rock. Here’s a Silhouette design I used for a little project I’ll be sharing with you soon.
4. You can draw your own designs right in the software. Check it. The drawing tools are super intuitive. And one of the best buttons for doing it is the “weld shapes” button, which lets you draw two or more shapes and weld them into one.
5. You can turn any image what-so-ever into a design to cut. (I almost hyperventilated when I discovered this.) Just click on the “get outline” button and choose the image from your computer. I decided to put this to the ultimate test and upload silhouettes of my kids and nieces. I could not believe my eyes when I peeled off the vinyl. I was looking at intricate, detailed, accurate little portraits of my own children.
6. You can cut any true type font on your computer. Like I said, the possibilities are endless. Here’s a cake I decorated using an image and font I sized to fit the cake. (Yes, it even decorates cakes. Just place the design, sift sugar over, and remove the paper. Easiest cake decorating ever.)
7. When you get your Silhouette SD, you will immediately fall into a happy oblivion. Don’t plan on doing any laundry or dishes that day. You will start bookmarking all kinds of projects, like glass etching, screen printing, vinyl wall decorating and vinyl iBook decorating, homemade garland, homemade cards that will make everyone think you’re a creative genius, and so so much more.
I wanted my ibook to be as much of a geek as I am. This may be a good time to tell you, Silhouette is deisnged only for PCs right now. A Mac version is expected to come in the fall. In the meantime, there are a couple hacks you can use to run it from your Mac.
It’s possible I got a little carried away.
Here’s a sneak peek at a very fun girlie tutorial I have coming soon.
8. Silhouette has very awesome mediums you can buy on their shop. I worked with their vinyl and it was premium. Oh so smooth with perfect tackiness. I can’t wait to try the heat transfer and make myself a cool tee.
9. You will never, ever have trouble coming up with a customized gift. Do you like how this drink tray turned out for my mom? I made it in a flash. I’ll share full details soon.
10. You will wonder how you ever lived with out it. Kind of like my first born.
To sum up. The Silhouette SD can help you with your homemade gifts, gift wrap, home decor, party decor, your baking, and your DIY fashion. Not bad. Stick around to join in on my week-long Silhouette fest. Tomorrow you’ll hear from Crystal (hooray!), then you can expect three Silhouette tutorials and a giveaway winner announced on Wednesday. It’s going to be fun.
I hope you’re as excited as I am about all this. I’ll leave you with a little more eye candy from the amazing crafters at Silhouette.te Stop their site to see more. Good luck!